Friday, November 2, 2007

Philately

Stamp collection; generally termed as philately but for me philately and stamp collection was not synonymous term till I reached class seven. When we had our own general grocery shop, I used to have lots of stamps because we need papers to the items, and most of the collected papers were the forms, applications, and reports with stamp attached to it. The stamps are of various denominations. My father asked us (my big brother) to stick away those stamps from paper by wetting it in water. The job was very tiring and monotonous. Frustrated me asked to my father, “what we going to do with these used stamps? They are not of any use…” As a reply, “ who knows if anyone variety of these multi copies bears an error and selling those we can earn lots of money”. He told the story of the stamps of queen Elizabeth with printing error and one of the person bearing “the stamp” was awarded with many thousands pound sterling”. Then, the quest for error stamp begun. I just collect stamps, no matter that belongs to which nation or any denomination. I just went on collecting stamps. While gathering stamps from those application forms and reports, I had lot of copies of some stamps from the series of royal coronation of King Birendra Bir Bikram Shahdev. Those stamps turns out to be the real money when we started exchanging stamps at school, most of my philatelist friends lack those stamps and even I didn’t have most of other stamps. That childhood tedious job is showing its colour. Soon, I am the one of the most stamp bearer in my class. Then, I started going to the Post office and get myself the copy of stamp of first day of issue.
Along with the stamp I collected, I gathered the varieties of general information about many places, persons, and pilgrimages of my own country.
And now it’s been years I didn’t show any interest in stamp collection, I lacked those information………….. Including I have my own stamp album.
Thank you Eric.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys, I recently found my dad's stamp collection, but it is on very old collection book and I wanted to trans fer stamps to a new book. Can you people please guide me how to do that without damaging the stamps.