Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Father's day

Just ranked second to mother, father is top most worshiped and prayed in our culture, and religion, third is teacher or guru; god comes fourth, and today is our version of father's day better known as Kuse aunsi or Gokarne aunsi, and auspicious day for celebration in the name of father lies on dark fortnight of August or in early September. No matter near or far sons and daughters, it is a day when children show their appreciation and gratitude for his affection, love, support, and above all guidance and teachings in life for their life to celebrate the day with their fathers with presents, gifts and confections. The children express gratitude and love in their own ways. The streets are packed with happy moments of married daughters on their way to their parents' home with delicacies. After the offering of gifts, there is the ritual of touching the father’s feet with their forehead only performed by sons; the daughter worked it out just by touching the hands, actually daughter weren’t allowed to do so. The ceremony is termed as "looking upon father's face” in our native language but I recall the Eric Clapton’s hit single “ My father’s eyes”.

1 comment:

Eric Contesse said...

Hello Saten,

Thanks for your message on my blog ;-)
I'd be so happy to receive a nice cover from Nepal ! I'll speak about in my blog of course.
When I'll receive your letter, I'll send you back a nice one from France.
If you've some friends who could be interested in an exchange of covers or stamps with me, don't hesitate to give them my email or postal address :

Eric CONTESSE
40 rue Antoine Charial
F-69003 LYON
FRANCE

Thanks a lot
Regards from France !

Eric