Thursday, June 14, 2007

What is this life if full of care?

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

These are the first two lines from the poem leisure written by William Henry Davies. You guys may why? This is the poem we have to study when we’re in grade 9. We have to cram the whole poet and recite in front of the class. The teacher was Dikendra Rai who was alcoholic and later heard that he died. I am so weak in cramming things, as I like the subjects like trigonometry, physics and chemistry. It was my first experience to stand infront of classroom, actually I used to be shy guy during my schooling, I manage to memorize the whole poem but when I stood in front of class I was so nervous that I forgot the poet’s name and the style which our teacher asked to recite us. Then I asked him if I can try later. He slapped me so hard and said next time if couldn’t do it he won’t slap he would punch. But later in the class too, I couldn’t recite that poem. And he punished me during the assembly. And asked me to write 5 poems in English, which I did it because I love rhyme during my kindergarten, that helped me a lot. Still today poem dreads me still I love to write one. And I know by now whatever we’ve studied never went in vain whether it’s poem or rhyme. Just singing my way along.

A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No comments: