Sunday, May 27, 2007

My good old basketball days.

I was never interested in sports during my lower high school days; I am unable too because I was short and physically weaker than other guys of class. I was rather into mental competition like quizzes, chess and spelling contest; and won some prizes in that department but in sport that requires physical strength. But as I passed by 10th grade (SLC) exam, I joined National School of Sciences, and made few but new friends, new in interests and attitude, there’s one boy named Dipiz a.k.a. Dogg Pound Junkie (that’s way he like to call himself). I still remember how do we get acquainted with each other it was just the third day of our college, I was smoking on the rooftop of college and he wants the match box to light. Next day, I was the one who need the cigarette. As the day passed we started to smoke weed together along with some friends and one day we are caught by the guard and rooftop was closed and we are guarded with eagle’s eye. Due to the scarcity of the hangout, we used to bunk the college and gather to the nearby cafĂ© and basketball court. Then the true story begins, Dipiz was the good Basketball player during his school days, he brought the ball and killing the times becomes easier even during the high of weed. We were altoghter 6 guys, 4 smokers and 2 non-smokers. Tridip “The Doc”, Rajim “Cartoon”, Upan “ Captain”, Simpey “Great wall”, Abhaya “ No fear”, and me. At first, none of us besides Dipiz are player of the game but as the day passed by he taught us how to shoot better, how to handle the ball, and lay ups actually all the basics. As we progress gradually, the team is formed and we named it “Da Chronic”; the jersey was whole black with stripes of green, yellow and red with the leaf of marijuana on the center, we look like Rastafarian rather than a basketball team. But we are good enough to participate in tournaments but we never had such chance as the game was not that much popular at that time; Still worked hard and were playing no matter who were there as the opponent, the prize was just the cold drinks. The Doc always remained the first person to open the account for us. Cartoon is the one who can use is right hand and run so fast that he could breathe the lungs out of opponent. Upan “ The captain” is the one with such a strength and stamina that he can play for whole 3 hours with out resting. Simpey “The Great Wall” the tallest of all was the fierce competitor still playing but at that time he is the main rebounder and shot-blocker of our team. And Abhaya was the manager and I final resort when someone get tired or hurt during the play time. And me, they all call me “Jack, behind the back” as I play as the point guard and assist Dipiz in the playtime. Still missing good old ball game

No comments: